Okay, I've read most of the character portions of the quick-start 4e rules. I'm not sure how to feel about it. On the positive side, it seems more cinematic, and (frankly) Spycraft-y. They consolidated skills, made skill points simpler, apparently gave the races tangible benefits through all levels (other than stat boosts or bonus feats and skills, of course), and evened up the character classes (on both the "fun-to-play" and "essential-ity for a full party" fronts).
However, that also acts against it for me. It seems like giving a first level fighter 30-odd hitpoints, or letting the first-level rogue get 2d8 sneak attack damage might de-balance some of the fun of low level games. That, and healing surges letting you recover a fourth of you hitpoints in 5 minutes. Part of the fun of the game (for me) was running around, close to death, scared of the Kobolds that may or may not be around the corner.
I don't know. I think it'll be good, but different. I want to see the character creation system, DM tools, and monster concepts. But provisionally, I'm neutrally ambivalent.
What I'm not neutrally ambivalent about is These Arms Are Snakes and Mastodon releasing new albums this year. I love Matt Bayles production on everything he does, and both are just such wonderfully creative bands. Now, I've got to play bass for Jazz band. And I forgot to add, "Medium Cool," our closer, should be really good too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment